What is a cookie?
A cookie is a harmless text file that is stored in your browser when you visit almost any web page. The usefulness of cookie is that the web is able to remember your visit when I return to surf this page. Although many people do not know the cookies have been in use for 20 years, when the first browsers for the World Wide Web.
What is NOT a cookie?
It is not a virus or a Trojan, not a worm, or spam, or spyware, or open pop-up windows.
What information stores a cookie?
Cookies do not usually store sensitive information about you, such as credit card or bank account information, photographs, your ID or personal information, etc. The data stored are technical, personal preferences, content personalization, etc.
The web server does not associate you as a person if your web browser. In fact, if you regularly browse with Internet Explorer and try to browse the same web with Firefox or Chrome you will see that the web does not realize that you are the same person because you are actually associating the browser, not the person.
What kind of cookies there?
- Cookies techniques: They are the most basic and allow, among other things, knowing when you are browsing a human or an automated application, when an anonymous user navigates and one registered, basic tasks for running any dynamic web.
- Cookies analysis: Collect information on the type of navigation is performing, the sections most used, consulted products, time period of use, language, etc.
- Cookies advertising: display advertising based on their navigation, their country of origin, language, etc.
What are cookies own and those of others?
Party cookies are those generated by the page you are visiting and third are generated by internal or external providers such as Facebook, Twitter, Google, etc.
What happens if I disable cookies?
To understand the scope that may have to disable cookies shows some examples:
- You can not share content of this site on Facebook, Twitter or any other social network.
- The web site will not adapt content to your personal preferences, as often happens in online stores.
- You can not access the personal area of the web, such as My Account, or My Profile or My orders.
- online stores: It will be impossible to buy online, they will be calling or visiting the physical store if you have one.
- Not be possible to customize your geographic preferences as time zone, currency or language.
- The website can not perform web analytics about visitors and web traffic, making it difficult to be competitive anywhere.
- You can not write on the blog, you can not upload photos, post comments, evaluate or rate content. The web may not know whether you are a human or an automated application that publishes spam.
- No advertising may show sectioned, which will reduce the web advertising revenue.
Can I delete cookies?
Yes. Not only eliminate, also block, general or particular to a specific domain.
To remove cookies from a website should go to your browser settings and there you can find the associated domain in question and proceed to its elimination.
Configuring cookies for most browsers polulares
Here’s how to access a particular cookie of the Chrome browser. Note: These steps may vary depending on the browser version:
- Go to Settings or Preferences via the File menu or by clicking the icon customization that appears above right.
- You will see different sections, click the Show Advanced Options option.
- Go to Privacy, Content settings.
- Select All cookies and site data.
- A list of all cookies ordered by domain appears. To make it easier to find cookies enter a particular domain partially or totally the address in the search field cookies.
- After making this filter will appear on the screen one or more lines with the requested Web cookies. Now just select it and press the X to proceed with removal.
To access the cookie settings in Internet Explorer follow these steps (may vary depending on the browser version):
- Go to Tools, Internet Options
- Click on Privacy.
- Move the slider to adjust the level of privacy you want.
To access the configuration cookies Browser Firefox follow these steps (may vary depending on the browser version):
- Go to Options or Preferences for your operating system.
- Click on Privacy.
- In History choose Use custom settings for history.
- Now you will see the Accept Cookies option, you can turn on or off according to your preferences.
To access the cookie settings Safari browser for OSX follow these steps (may vary depending on the browser version):
- Go to Preferences, then Privacy.
- Here you can see the Block cookies to fit the type of lock you want to perform.
To access the cookie settings Safari browser for iOS follow these steps (may vary depending on the browser version):
- Go to Settings, then Safari.
- You go to Privacy and Security, see the Block cookies to fit the type of lock you want to perform.
To access the configuration cookies browser for devices Android follow these steps (may vary depending on the browser version):
- Run the browser and press Menu, then Settings button.
- Go to Security and Privacy, see the Accept Cookies option to check or uncheck the box.
To access the configuration cookies browser for devices Windows Phone follow these steps (may vary depending on the browser version):
- Open Internet Explorer, then More, then Settings
- Now you can enable or disable the Allow cookies.